Today Shepshed is home to more than 15 000 Inhabitants. It includes facilities such as the co-op supermarket, Glenmore Park, free parking at the Market Place, four Primary Schools, a high school and college.
also various shops, newsagents, take-aways and cafes and also a library, which
was built in 1971 on the site of a row of terraced cottages. It has been
rumoured that the ghost of a former inhabitant, renowned for her interfering
nature, once played havoc with the librarys security system. Evidence of
Shepsheds history can still be found today, such as the sign Star
Supply Stores, the Money Saving Grocers which is situated on an old wall
in the Hall Croft. A sheep symbol is used on many plaques because of one of
Shepsheds previous names: Sheepshead. Shepshed is mentioned in the
Domesday Book 1086 as Schepeshefde Regis.
Charnwood Hall | Old Queens Head |
Pied Bull | Shepshed Names
St Botolphs Church | St Winefrides | Style-Twy-Chell | War Memorial